Vortland has a really happening Film scene and a variety of Movie theaters showing a variety of Indie, foreign and Hollywood movies. I Live in the downtown Vancouver area and when I'm not heading over to Hollywood theater, Cinema 21 or Regal FOX Tower in Portland I make use of the Regal city 12 in Vancouver and the one screen they keep an indie or foreign movie going on.This past weekend I caught Steven Soderberghs "The Informant" at the city center which was a well done, darkly funny story about Mark Whitacre a corporate management type who worked for a giant company producing Lysine (An essential amino acid found in proteins)and Informant for the FBI about price fixing within the corporate giant.I like Soderberghs fuzzy look for the film adding to the feeling this Brady bunch had gone off there meds.This will not win film of the year but is a very fun, solid film. So since I don't always need the best, most intelectaul movie on the planet I give it A on sheer fun and entertainment. I am a fan of the director Steven Soderbergh , bringing me fun creations like the first Oceans 12 or more obscure wonders like "Bubble" a fantastically creepy little film about some odd folks in a doll factory. Being a cinephile I am of course one of the very few folks who attended (and stayed all the way through) "CHE" . I mostly stayed to see and hear Mr. Soderbergh talk about the film which was fun and well worth it.
I have visions of an arty movie house in downtown Vancouver adding to the Vortland scene and filling a much needed gap on this side of the river. Perhaps Kiggins take over?
http://theinformantmovie.warnerbros.com/
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Mike:
ReplyDeleteWhat I'd like to see is a decent brewpub or movie night come up with a program on this side of the river.
BTW, I have several posts on the Soderbergh visit on my blog from this past March
http://robertlhughes.net/2009_03_01_archive.html