Thursday, November 12, 2009

36th NW Film and Video Festival -VIVA LA VORTLAND






















This week I attended one of the showings from the 36th NW Film and Video Festival held by the NW Film center in Portland (or as I call it the Vortland region). I attended the showing of Shorts 1 and a documentary called "Died Young and Stayed Pretty" about the underground rock poster world. the Shorts were almost all worth while with some exceptional highlights. For me the short "AXIOMS OF A DISHWASHER" by Director Vance Malone was a visual pleasure reciting a poetic philosophical view of the harsh life of a dishwasher in today's restaurant world with some advice for aspiring plate ware washers.Through the lens of this director I could see beauty and respect for this thankless job. The other Exceptional short was " NOUS DEUX ENCORE" by director Heather Harlow that told its story of love and loss through mostly still images and narration in french creating a haunting and lovely effect. There is a certain freedom to short films you see that comes from not being bound by models for profit that Hollywood sets, allowing stories to be told in ways I would otherwise never see. If I had more time I would see all 3 of the Shorts series and a few more of the feature length documentaries and films. I stuck around for Feature documentary 'Died Young And Stayed pretty" by Eileen Yaghoobian. A view into the world of underground rock poster art that was incredibly hip and cool for about 30 minutes leaving the rest 58 minutes less of a statement and more about me trying to stay awake. This would have fared much better as a short, non traditional , arty documentary capturing the anti-establishment sentiment of the director and the subjects. As always though, I am grateful see different views and styles of film and if not for this one I may still not know what 'VIVISECTIONIST" means (Someone who has a minute or pitiless examination or criticism). Something always learned! I also enjoy the fans of these events. When I go to my local cineplex people do not respond in applause and there is no Q&A to ask questions and learn more, we just march home and onto the next thing. Here the audience clapped after every short, as if to thank every director for their time and energy to give us these short bundles of joy. Perhaps in our own ways we should all applaud the folks who make and bring us these films so there will continue to be more. This festival is another great example of the wide variety of interesting things our region brings to the table. VIVA LA VORTLAND !






For more of the 36th NW Film Festival this weekend check out http://www.nwfilm.org/



No comments:

Post a Comment